May 21, 2014

If I Were 22...

This picture was taken when I was 21 1/2.. apparently no pictures of me at 22 exist anymore.. probably for good reason..

If I could go back in time 10 years... I'd tell my little 22 year old self many things....  Here I am, freshly hired as a customer service representative for State Farm Insurance, I don't really have a clue about what a professional work environment looks like and because of stress I weighed under 100lbs.
  • Don't show up to an interview wearing a Canadian Tuxedo... seriously jean jacket with jeans is never a good idea... big eye roll...
  • You matter, even though you feel like you are just faking your way through life till you figure some things out, it's ok.. You matter and you'll figure it out.
  • I know you think emo music is like "your jam" but trust me in a few short years from now even hearing Dashboard Confessional, you will roll your eyes.
  • I know that freshly broken heart hurts, it really does.. and I know you thought that he was the one.. but TRUST ME, you will meet the most amazing man and you'll thank God that it didn't work out... 
  • I know you doubt really if you are beautiful, you compare your self to many around you.... but let me tell you, you are beautiful... stunning on the inside and out.. 
  • Loose the hip hugger jeans... 
  • Wash your hands after applying sunless tanning lotion... trust me..
  • Take care of your body, it won't always be this easy... 
  •  Take your time figuring out who you are, things will change and there will be talents, dreams and hopes you discover along the way... there is no rush to define who you are right here right now... 
  • Go easy on the glitter eye shadow..
  • Just be honest, you don't really like Radiohead....
  • You are kind... you are a great friend, you will make mistakes and when you do, be quick to fix it... 
  • It takes a while to find your dream job, but working hard will always pay off... 
  • Remember even when people you love hurt you, it's usually not about you.. it's about them.. Forgive them.. forgive them quickly and put people in your life that can remind you of the gift you are.. even if you forget...
  • Lastly, I know it feels like this is all your life will be but I promise you... life will be so much bigger and so much better, than you ever dreamed... 
Alot can happen in 10 years, for me when I'm discouraged it's helpful to look back and see all that's changed in 10 years and then start to dream of all that is possible in the next 10... Congrats to all you graduates starting out on your adventures and to the rest of us.. keep going, it only gets better from here....

No comments:

Post a Comment