February 26, 2014

DIY: Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub

Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub

Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub by hchdesigns on Polyvore

While the Midwest & East Coast is getting winter's version of PMS... Us here in California are experiencing a drought... which you know what that means.. dry dry dry... my skin is normally dry however I've lived most of my life in humid/snowy weather conditions so I didn't notice too much... Enter moving to California 5 years ago.. all of a sudden my face & hair are dry... like Sahara dry.. I've tried scrubs, I've tried lotions & conditioners... but nothing really has helped... until.... drum roll please.... I remembered that coconut oil was really good for the skin! I watched a YouTube video of Jaclyn Hill (love her) using sugar as a natural exfoliant and she loves it! The idea was planted...  I really wish I could take credit for this genius however I cannot.. It's a mixture of my YouTube makeup video addiction, Pinterest  & my mom always being right... but I digress....
Here's how to make it...*note* this is a basic recipe that I tweaked you can find many different options in the land of Pinterest.. here's one that I used for inspiration...

  • Melt 1 Cup of Coconut oil (not hot , just melted/soft).. it doesn't take very long.. 45 seconds or so... *tip* it's way easier to measure once it's melted.. it can re-harden whatever you don't use... I just put the jar in the microwave (minus the lid)... 
  • Measure out 2 cups of Brown Sugar, it's better if it's a lighter brown but really any kind will do...
  • Add 1 teaspoon of Vanilla.. I found a recipe that said 1/2 tsp and honestly it wasn't enough for me but really this is just for smell... nothing else... so use your best judgement... 
  • Mix until all the ingredients look like it's mixed.. obviously there's some serious science behind this.. and put into a pint size mason jar or Tupperware for storage... 
That's it friends... but beware, it tastes amazing.. like when you make chocolate chip cookies amazing.. the cool thing is when you scrub your face and it gets on your lips, it's delicious and safe to eat... I said to my husband that my skincare was soo tasty and I could just eat it out of the jar.. I didn't, don't worry.. to which he responded " that sounds a little desperate"... yes honey, yes it is... 
This can be used for the face & body...I wash my face, like usual then I use this scrub... it is incredible and the oil removes all that pesky waterproof eye makeup and my face is like breathing a sigh of relief and softly saying "thank you".... Another amazing option, legs!!! Don't be afraid to shave with it!! It's heavenly, the warm water of the shower melts the oil just enough and the sugar scrubs all the old skin... not to mention you'll end up smelling like a cookie.. Score one for the home team.



No comments:

Post a Comment